Digital Exhibits - UWM Libraries Special Collections
Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:

Advanced Search (Items only)

The Lady’s Museum

The Lady's Museum The Lady's Museum The Lady's Museum The Lady's Museum

Charlotte Lennox ([1729]-1804).
The Lady’s Museum. London: Printed for J. Newberry and J. Coote, [1760-1761]. 2 volumes.
(RARE) PR 1134 .L33x 1760

John Newberry (also spelled Newbery) was a writer and bookseller who became well-known for his involvement with publishing children’s books. He also established Lilliputian Magazine, the first magazine for children, in 1751. After 1746, like many other booksellers of the time who were involved in other enterprises “on the side,” he also owned Dr. James’ Fever Powder, a very successful and popular health remedy which made Newberry a fortune—but which has also been blamed for causing King George III’s insanity. One of Newberry’s children’s books publicized the powder by having the character Little Goody Two-Shoes benefit from a dose.

The Lady’s Museum